I am not an earth nor adjunct of an earth,
I am the mate and companion of people, all just as immortal
and fathomless as myself,
(They do not know how immortal, but I know.)
respire
inspire
then retire the burden of breath
slow the sanguine flow
nourishing pipes that have known the frozen winds of milwaukee,
and the sandy storms or iran
still the weary myofilaments
that stretched and squeezed
propelling iron and wine
lay to rest weathered joints, rust in their carbon hinges
footprints of so many that came before
calm a frenzied mind
that bid us a premature fairwell
take away bones and sinew, send them to the grass and dirt
leave only carbon footprints of light and love
I am the mate and companion of people, all just as immortal
and fathomless as myself,
(They do not know how immortal, but I know.)
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
inspire
then retire the burden of breath
slow the sanguine flow
nourishing pipes that have known the frozen winds of milwaukee,
and the sandy storms or iran
still the weary myofilaments
that stretched and squeezed
propelling iron and wine
lay to rest weathered joints, rust in their carbon hinges
footprints of so many that came before
calm a frenzied mind
that bid us a premature fairwell
take away bones and sinew, send them to the grass and dirt
leave only carbon footprints of light and love
No comments:
Post a Comment